- About Us
- Student Info
- Parent Info
Special Education Department
Our Special Education Program is an alternative educational program for students with Ministry of Education recognized categories. We offer a dynamic alternative to classroom-based instruction for Kindergarten to Grade 12 students with special education needs.
Ready to register?
Please contact your counselor or the registration desk by phone - 604-794-2481 or email email@example.com.
The IEP is a
vehicle for collaborative planning between the school, the parents and the
student and may involve "outside agencies". Through the development of the IEP the following features may be
- Adaptations to regular course work
- Modified Courses
- Online Courses
- Computer based remedial programs
- Assistive technology
- Life Skills Programs
- Work Experience
The Special Education Department offers services and programs to help students with special needs to become successful.
- Program Development - IEP - excellent selection of both modified /adapted paper and online programs
- Contracted services for speech and language therapy; physiotherapy and other support services
- Testing and Assessment
- Computer and technical training support
- Education supported with "virtual classes"
- Regular home visits by special ed. staff
- Transition Planning - for beyond graduation
- Field trips and other activities for socialization and meeting other families
We provide programs for students in the Ministry of Education categories listed below. Proper documentation must accompany the registration application.
- Physical/Chronic Health Impairment
- Moderate to Profound Intellectual Disability
- Visual Impairment
- Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Deaf or Hard of Hearing
- Intensive Behaviour/Mental Health
Students who do not meet the specific ministry criteria for special needs and are struggling academically may receive Learning Assistance. These students may require adaptations or modifications to their program; they may have had assessments including psycho-educational or medical assessments.
We offer a
variety of services for our students. There are some great websites that may
help you learn your basic skills or we have information to help you with your
study skills. For your educational enhancement we have field trips that are
offered at a nominal cost.
Strategies to Success
- Make a schedule
- Regular contact with teachers
- Set goals
- Asperger Syndrome - A Guide for Educators and Parents
- Children With Autism - A Parents’ Guide
- Right From the Start - Topics in Autism (Behavior Intervention)
- Educating Children with Autism
- Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Home Educating our Autistic Spectrum Children
- Asperger’s Syndrome in Young Children - A Developmental Guide for Parents and Professionals
- Autism-Asperger’s & Sexuality Puberty and Beyond
- Your Life Is Not a Label: A Guide to Living Fully with Asperger’s Syndrome and Autism for Parents, Professionals and You Navigating the Social World
- Helping Children With Aggression and Conduct Problems: Best Practices for Intervention
- Nonverbal Learning Disabilities at Home
- Teaching Reading to Children with Down Syndrome
- Home schooling the Child with ADD (or other Special Needs)
- Unhappy Teenagers - A Way for Parents and Teachers to Reach Them
- Under the Big Umbrella - Underground Guide to the Pervasive Developmental Disorders
- Transition to Adulthood: A Resource for Assisting Young People With Emotional or Behavioral Difficulties
- Why Johnny Can’t Concentrate - Coping With Attention Deficit Problems
- Winning at Parenting ...Without Beating Your Kids
- Last One Picked- Learning Disabilities & Social Skills